Saturday, June 22, 2013

What is the meaning of life?

An iconic dress from my 1950s childhood.
When I see a doctor, s/he will sometimes end the meeting with "Do you have any other questions?" And sometimes I tease them with the ultimate question: "What is the meaning of life?"   It's an old joke, right?

When I was much younger, I wondered ... why didn't my parents tell me the answers to the really important questions? Now I understand ... It simply is not possible.

Now I'm the parent. I would love to give some particularly meaningful  wisdom to my daughter. But, what can I do? I can share my thoughts, my experiences, my feelings, my beliefs, my everlasting love ... all those things help, one way or another. But I can't give her the answer.

What does it matter? Adeline is wiser than her mother, in many ways. Plus, I don't think the answer really matters. It's the search that gives life meaning.

8 comments:

  1. love that you still have that dress. and i think you are right. THE answers are different for all of us. maybe that's what ought to be taught...that we need to find the answers within ourselves and not from others on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "What ought to be taught ..." There's a subject that deserves discussion. xo

      Delete
  2. Morna~ Love this question to the docs! I have been thinking along these lines and I love how you say your answers and their answers. Deanna's right only we hold our own answers!
    Love the sweet dress :) My sister and I have a couple of ours too. I posted them over at the trail when I first started blogging. They just don't make 'em like this anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I still had my ice skating dress ... it was fabulous: Grey wool with grey wool covered buttons from neck to hem (in front), a hood and a flared skirt, both lined with deep salmon colored fabric of some sort, and the hood and hem had white "fur" trim (definitely fake). I wore it to skate at Rockefeller Center. :-)

      Delete
  3. Morna, I think I had the same dress. It was my confirmation dress one that I wore under the gown during the church ceremony. Mine had a little Peter Pan collar if memory serves. I am going to search for the photo of me wearing my beautiful dress.
    How lovely that you still have some of your childhood garments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has a sailor collar. I wish I knew how to insert a photo into a comment.

      Delete
  4. The cat is just adorable.
    Here's an essay I would like to add to the discussion, worth reading:
    http://www.pr-controlled.com/pr-controlled-multiplicity-of-grayness.php#.UfuyZW1YKt4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - it is worth reading.

      I say: T.S. Eliot was a postal clerk and grey is, in my eyes, an exceptionally beautiful color.

      Thanks for adding to the discussion ... whoever you are!

      Delete

Comments have been disabled, because I have moved this blog to http://www.wickedwaif.com. I hope to see you there!

- Morna :-)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.